WRIGHT, Environmental Science
Section 21 Atmospheric Pollution
MULTIPLE CHOICE. Opt for the one alternate that greatest completes the statement or answers the question. 1) Acid precipitation pertains
A) to the precipitation which can be more acidulent than fairly neutral.
B) to the precipitation which is more acid than typical.
C) simply to precipitation which is strongly acid.
D) into a new kind of irrigation.
E) to a precipitation which causes particularly severe erosion. Solution: B
2) The chemical component which can be responsible for BASIC properties is usually A) hydroxyl ions (OH-).
B) sulfur oxide (SO).
C) hydrogen ions (H+).
D) nitrogen oxide (NO).
Diff: a couple of
3) The pH of normal precipitation is
A) slightly acidic.
B) slightly basic.
C) exactly simple.
D) highly basic.
E) not known.
4) Acid anticipation
A) is always limited to a place within a mile or so with the source of exhausts. B) is generally limited to the within a couple of (3 -- 5) mls of the supply of emissions. C) is generally limited to an area inside several (6 - 15) miles from your source of exhausts. D) might occur hundreds of miles through the source of exhausts. E) influences the whole globe uniformly.
5) Which in the following claims is/are INCORRECT?
A) There are already hundreds of lakes in the northeastern United states of america and asian Canada which are lifeless. B) It is predicted that by year june 2006, the " production" of acid rain will have lessened. C) Forests in many parts of the east United States demonstrate signs of destruction and lowered growth. D) More studies needed to confirm acid precipitation exists. E) All of the above are accurate.
6) Which in turn of the subsequent is the key contributor for the formation of acid rainwater? A) ozone
C) sulfur dioxide
D) carbon dioxide
7) The major source of sulfur dioxide emissions affecting the asian United States and Canada continues to be identified as A) some 55 coal burning up power crops.
B) a few 50 elemental power vegetation.
C) cars and trucks.
D) coming from the many auto and truck vegetation in the region. E) none with the above
8) Adverse effects of air pollution and/or acid rain on the environment are currently being documented in such conclusions as A) decline of fish foule in increasing numbers of lakes and rivers. B) decline of growth charge of jungles.
C) dieoff of forests in some parts.
D) decrease of buffering convenience of some marine ecosystems.
E) all of the over
9) Acid solution precipitation probably will have the greatest economic effect on humans through A) adverse health effects caused by immediate contact.
B) adverse health effects brought on by mobilization of toxic elements. C) dieoffs of woodlands and marine ecosystems.
D) dieoffs of agricultural vegetation.
E) damage of building elements.
10) Two lakes are close to each other and acquire roughly precisely the same acidic precipitation. One pond has switched acidic in recent years while the additional lake remains neutral. This can best become explained by A) acidification due to an acidic spring feeding one however, not the other. B) acidification due to night time dumping.
C) difference in buffering potential of the two lakes.
D) wind patterns moving over hills and mountains.
E) non-e in the above
11) The green house effect refers to
A) temperatures rising of the Earth's atmosphere.
B) the removal of air pollutants by simply passing the environment through greenhouses. C) increased albedo due to greenhouses.
D) the growth of crops in greenhouses applying hydroponics.
E) the theory on which a new solar warming device relies. Answer: A
Diff: one particular
12) The principal gaseous merchandise produced in the combustion of coal, petrol, and gas is A) carbon dioxide.
B) sulfur dioxide.
D) nitrogen oxides.